I warn you now... this post will be picture heavy.... Be warned!
I've got a lot done on my tavern! I showed the work on the kitchen a few posts ago, and I was going to update progress on the rest of the tavern sooner, but then I got distracted by doing things in the real kitchen hahaha.
Here is the continuation of the kitchen itself. Last time I showed the flooring being placed, and a rough 'sketch' of where things were going to go. Well, the floor was painted a dark brown, then dry brushed a lighter brown to bring out the details of the Hirst Arts floor pieces. I then decided exactly where the main kitchen fireplace would go, and chopped out an opening for it from the cork walls.
I had a piece of foam sitting around (it was one of the 'place holders' that came in my Bigger Blacker Box from Cards Against Humanity (Best Game EVER) and I was no longer using it, so it became part of my craft supplies!) and I carved out a fireplace from it. I will tell you now... this foam was the hardest thing to EVER cut anything out of! Holy Camoly.... it took me forever to get anything out of this thing, and even then it looked like crap.
Next thing I did was attach the fireplace to the side of the kitchen, built the brickwork out into the kitchen, and made a simple mantle around it. I'm currently debating on whether or not to make a spit roasting aparatus for this fireplace, or for the other one. You'll see.
Ok... enough of the kitchen for the moment! Now on to the actual tavern! I made a template on graph paper designing how it should probably look. It ended up being about 10"x8" with an additional 5"x2" area added to it for the keg area.
From this point, I added the back wall that connects the kitchen and tavern, so I could start building the second fireplace. Now, I got this idea in a dream... yes... I was dreaming about making this tavern.... shush! I don't know if anyone else has done anything like this before, but I thought it sounded really cool in my dream, so I figured out how to make it work!
Oh yeah... the walls were all covered in a mixture of pre-sanded grout, pva white glue, and a mixture of paints (which included multiple shades of brown and a little white, until I got the color I liked....)
So, about a week and a half later (I was working quite a bit because my boss and co-worker (boss's mom) were out of town for two weeks so I was working a lot....) I finally got to work on the tavern again. I spent quite a while trying to figure out how I wanted to do the flooring. I didn't have enough of the hirst arts tiles for the kitchen and the tavern, so I was trying to figure out something else. I was thinking of maybe using craft sticks (aka popsicle sticks), but those are a pain to cut up and get the rounded edge off of. I know they can just be cut with scissors, but I don't have the hand strength to do that for more than a few at a time.
After all but the front wall were connected to the floor, I started to play around with the outside. I needed a break from all that floor work! Using the egg carton brick/stone techniques, I covered the keg area with it. The kitchen will be covered in a matching stonework, to make things more cohesive. The stonework will also be around the whole base of the tavern, covering the cork, all the way up to the bordering 'beam' that I added to the outside of the walls. You'll see better pictures of what I mean later in the post.
I don't know why I added a window to the alcove. Really, I don't. Especially since it will mostly be covered by a keg. Bleh.
So, once I was a little tired of doing walls and painting the stonework that was there (all I've done so far on that is base coating it black. I will finish painting it when I finish getting all the stonework done, that way it is all done with the same exact paint mixtures), I painted the floor! I basically made a wash out of a dark burnt umbar brown paint. a hint of cinnamon paint and a lot of water, and I am pretty happy with the end result!
And of course the band that is being created... they need a stage!
The next few pictures are a mock-up of how and where things will be going. I don't have all my bar pieces (they are on their way now!) so I kinda fibbed it around hahah. A little 'railing' area around part of the stage, leaving a 'step' area in the front. I know that I have extra corner bar pieces, so I put one in the corner of the stage to hold an instrument. Probably the harp. I'll be adding a shelf or two to hold other instruments as well.
At one end of the bar area I'll probably put in a desk, so I can place things like an open book or a little chest of drawers, or maybe even a pile of treasure underneath it. Who knows! Plus a little gate, and some wine bottles... And kegs!
As you can see, today has been a very busy crafting day! I even got started on the second floor. This was very much inspired by the Tavern Build on the TerrainNoob youtube channel (which he hasn't updated in over a year.... but I still recommend watching the 17 videos he has on his tavern build! And his dragon nest build... and tuscan house build.... Just go watch his videos!)
And there you have it! An update! Woooo buddy, that was a lot of work that I've done. And now my hands are complaining because I've been typing so long.
I will leave you with a......