Almond extract

So, I was searching through my cupboards this morning for something for breakfast when I found one lone little baggie of slivered almonds.  It seemed like it was calling out to me to do something that I've never done before.

So, I toasted the little buggers up, and added vodka and water, and it is now sitting in my back room cupboard for the next three months to magically transform itself into almond extract!

Yay!

The little baggie was a half a cup of slivered almonds, so I modified the recipe that I found to reflect that.
1/2 cup almonds, toasted
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 cup filtered water
Lightly shake the jar every 3-5 days for 3 weeks - 2 months.


So I toasted them up, stuck them in a clean jar, added the vodka and water, shook it up, and it instantly clouded!  I think thats a good thing... it looks kinda like orgeat syrup (I used to be a barista) so I think its right.  And yes, I am using a high-end vodka.  I know it doesn't matter what quality is used, but I can't drink the cheap stuff so I don't keep it in the house.  And, why spend the money on cheap stuff if I won't touch it?  Besides, here in Washington, liquor prices are ridiculously high anyway, so yeah.  This one, the Bainbridge Island Legacy Organic Vodka is my favorite, and its (relatively) local!  Only about a half-hour drive from my house to the distillery   And yeah, I have been there.


So yes, here's to my attempt to make a little bit of extract!  Experimentation!  We shall see how it turns out in a few months.  I shall keep this posted.  Well, I'll post the end result.  ^-^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Minis! Including nude females... and nude males. Be warned!

The minis have paint on them!!!! Don't Blink!

Lots of upcoming finished paintings, and more