Flaming Undead Unicorn of Doom! And Elves! And Trolls! And the start of a Tavern!

Isn't this the most beautiful unicorn you have ever seen?  

I think she is gorgeous!  Now to think of a name for her.  And to figure out how the heck I am going to paint her.  

As you can probably figure out, I just (as in yesterday, seeing as today is Sunday) got my Elves and Co. from Stonehaven Miniatures in the mail!  It was awesome to come home after a very busy day at work (people want their booze for camping hahaha) and find these guys waiting for me.  But, seeing as it was a busy day and I was tired, I didn't take pictures or anything till today after work.  Or have the umph to write a blog post about it.  Now, as I eat my macaroni and cheese and sauteed brussel sprouts (don't knock it, they are delicious), I felt it was time to update!  So without further ado, here we are!


Look at them!  Look at all the elves!  And animals!  And pixies!  And Gremlins!  And Grippli!  And I will shut up now!  Not really hahaha.  They are all so pretty!  Not as tall as I was expecting, they are about the same height as my go to village lady.  But, they are much thinner, which I think fit well with the elf physique.  I will definitely be posting more pictures of the elves as I slowly begin painting them.  I'm still working on painting dwarves and gnomes, as well as animals and building terrain pieces lol.  But, I'm not in a rush to get them painted!  

And would you look at these trolls......  


I will most likely get them all painted first, seeing as they look so awesome!  Basing them will be interesting as well, as I am not the best pinner around, and they will definitely need to be pinned. I love the female troll.  The fact that her eyes are large, and I will be able to get awesome detail in them, really makes me happy!

Now on to that tavern that was mentioned in the title.  I am once again putting the barn aside, and beginning a true build!  One that the miniatures will actually use!  Well, you know what I mean hahaha.  Not something for the farm animals.

I had been playing with the idea of getting some Hirst Arts molds, because lets face it, that stuff is awesome.  But, I kept hemming and hawing, simply because I live in a small apartment, and I just don't have the room to get things like that.  But on the other hand, it would help when building things from scratch to have an idea of what others use as their scale for the same things.  That, I think, is one of the problems I am having with my barn, scale.  I know barns are supposed to be large, but I feel that it is too big.

Augh, ignore the barn, focus on the tavern!  So, before I began the tavern, I was playing around on Etsy, hoping to see if I could get a good idea of scale.  Then I discovered that people sell castings of the Hirst Arts molds.  Holy cow!  I totally didn't know that!  I ended up finding an awesome store on Etsy, Cicada Crafts, and they were selling a 250 piece set of miss-cast HA pieces.  I snatched that thing up faster than you can say supercalifragilisticexpialadocious.

Yeah, I said that out loud as I slowly typed it up.

After waiting a while (I didn't realize my old address was still the default on Etsy, so the package was sent there first, and then finally made it to my apartment after an extra four days, pretty beat up.  Thank you usps... thanks a lot...), it finally came and I finally got to see what a good scale for things was!  Granted, a few things were broken (but come on, it was sold as miss-cast anyway), but all in all I am pretty happy with it!  There are chips and dings and bubbles and they all look awesome!  I mean, if you are making a tavern or something like that, things do not have to be perfect!  Its old and worn in!  It gives it character!  And if it is really bad, its nothing a little green stuff cant fix!

I got floor pieces, barrels, tables, lotsa chairs, shelves, a weird mix of gothic things that I probably won't use (but thats ok!  Just cause I won't use it now, doesn't mean I wont in the future!), books, two grain sacks, a pillow, and some wash basins!  And more things too, but there are too many to count.  250 things actually.
I got the brilliant idea (hey, I was tired when I thought of it, but it worked out perfectly) of laying down some of the flooring in a size that I like, and I began designing the tavern from there!  As you can see in the picture above, I decided on a size of the main tavern.  It is 10 inches by eight inches.  On the back right of the room, behind where the bar will be located, will be an extension of 2x5, to give an area for the barrels of ale, mead, grog, whatever you think would fit best in those huge things!  From the very back there will be an addition of a 10x3 kitchen, which will be 'ground' level, whereas the tavern will be about an inch high from the ground (on a base, of course.... I can't very well float the thing.  I have yet to figure out what to make said elevated (ish) base out of tho.)  (And there will be a deck...)

And until I figure out exactly what to make the actual base of the main tavern out of, I started the kitchen!  And yes, when I said started, I really mean I started it!  I cut out a base for it of foam core board, 10.5 inch by 3.25 inch.  I added the quarter inch to either side, to give the walls something to sit on.  Instead of using foam core for the walls, I went ahead and used cork, mainly to give me the option of carving things out of it easier than it would be with the foam core  (I have some epic plans involving fireplaces...).  And yes, I know that the edges are not perfect with the cork, but that is ok because I have a plan for the outside, making it so there will be no problems showing through~ 
I decided which of the miscellaneous flooring I received would be best in the kitchen, and glued those suckers down! The weight of them helped it so the foam core did not warp.
Here is a little mock up of what will be going on in the kitchen.  It will probably change, but so far I am liking it!  On the little kitchen table (which will be getting a better top on it) you can see some of my sculpting practices hanging out.  I have not yet baked them, but I will sooner or later.  Carrots and a fish!  The little fires on the left indicate where fireplaces will be going.  Its gonna be hot in this kitchen!
A view of the other side of the kitchen, with stairs that will lead up into the bar area of the tavern.  Ignore the dirty coffee cup (or two) in the background.  It is now clean and drying, waiting for me to put it away after I finish typing this post.
And my chubby Elven Baker!  And the Gnome Chef!  And Dwarven Brewmaster (sporting his loyal colors!)
Jeeze.... Gnome Chef is short... I'm gonna have to make a platform on one side of the kitchen table....  And in her primed state she just blends right in!

So, projects in the near future!
*Paint trolls!
*Continue slowly painting other miniatures!  I'm sure I'll eventually finish all these guys.  In ten years lol
*Make kitchen awesome:  Stone facade the outside (using egg carton stones), plaster with broken areas in the inside.  Paint.  Build awesome fireplaces out of something.
*Figure out what to make the base of the main tavern out of.
*Post pictures of my awesome sketches of what this tavern thing will be looking like in the end (kinda hahahah)

Well, I shall leave it here, and finish up eating my veggies!

Love Peace and Chicken Grease!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Minis! Including nude females... and nude males. Be warned!

The minis have paint on them!!!! Don't Blink!

Lots of upcoming finished paintings, and more